UPDATE: Read the story from The Palm Beach Post on here
Public Service Commission Chairman Matthew Carter pronounced that Florida Power & Light Co.’s prolonged $1.2 billion rate hike case will wrap up tonight. Period.
“We will finish tonight, ladies and gentlemen,” Carter said before adjourning for lunch.
“Everything that needs to be said has pretty much been said. How many more times can you say the same thing?” Carter told The Palm Beach Post shortly after the lunch break began.
Expect some fireworks when the hearing resumes at 2:30.
FPL Group Controller Mike Davis is going to get a grilling on the utility’s proposal to charge customers $3.7 million of the $5 million it estimates it will spend to persuade the PSC to grant its rate hike.
Some of the expenses incurred so far include $1.4 million for consultants, $450,996 for legal services, $214,632 for lodging and $143,232 for meals over a nearly two-year period.
Carter can’t be blamed for wanting the FPL case, sidetracked by what he called “shenanigans” over allegations of conflicts of interest, to come to a halt.
He was absent yesterday because of complications from two back surgeries he’s had this year.
Carter’s got a little more than two months left in his term after Gov. Charlie Crist passed him over for reappointment earlier this month.
The panel will come back at 2:30, a half hour before the newest regulator, David Klement, is sworn in in Sarasota.
Klement, a former newspaper editorial writer, will be in Tallahassee on Tuesday to vote on whether the PSC should decide on FPL’s rate case this year or wait until another new Crist appointee – Pensacola accountant and bar owner/manager Benjamin “Steve” Stevens – joins the PSC on Jan. 1.