Across Florida
What's happening on other political blogs?


Senate digs in over drug database

by Dara Kam | March 14th, 2011

One of Attorney General Pam Bondi’s top priorities – a bill enhancing penalties for pill mill doctors and operators – received unanimous approval in its first Senate committee hearing this afternoon.

The measure (SB 818) would require the Board of Medicine to suspend a doctor’s license for six months and impose a minimum $10,000 fine for violating the state’s 72-hour dosage limit for pain management clinic docs.

Bondi said the harsher penalties – and more provisions in the yet-to-be-implemented prescription drug database included in the bill – will help her combat the state’s reputation as the nation’s illicit drug capital.

“We have become the destination for drug dealers,” Bondi said. “This is a horrible, horrible problem. Because the drug dealers are flying to Florida now to buy these drugs and take them back to other states. You are truly impacting lives today.”

The bill also enhances provisions in current laws related to the prescription drug database although the system has yet to get up and running two years after lawmakers created it.

The database is under fire from the Florida House where a committee last week passed a measure doing away with all regulation of pain clinics and replacing it with a ban on dispensing practitioners, who are responsible for only 16 percent of the oxycodone. The rest – 84 percent – comes from pharmacies.

Tags: ,

5 Responses to “Senate digs in over drug database”

  1. mike Says:

    We need the database. Pharma, the maker of oxycontin has pledged one million dollars to the database. What is rick scott tring to hide or protect by doing awat with the database. Many lives are at stake here. Everyday that we dont have a database up and running countless lives are ruined or lost due to the easy access of these heroin like drugs which were originally prescibed for terminal patients. scott, you suk it.

  2. Unreal Says:

    Just make it a law in Florida that if you prescribe any Oxy drug, then you lose your license for 10 years. That includes pharmacists doling out the drug. Let them sue, but at least you could ban the drug for a couple years even if they did prevail. Who cares if the federal government approved it.
    How much would it cost to fight the feds in court over the states ability to ban certain drugs?
    Combine the 2,100 deaths a year, with the large prison problem and i bet it would be cheaper just to fight in court about it.

  3. MK Says:

    Moving in the right direction.
    You can’t have a pill mill without a doctor. Shame on the BOM for not being proactive on this travesty. They continue to wait for legislative change at the cost of 7 lives in Florida alone.
    An interesting thing – what happened to the doc’s busted in February? Has the BOM or DOH acted on them and revoked or suspend their license? We do not want these doc’s practicing in our State. Please get rid of them

  4. Curtis S. Lavarello Says:

    Governor Scott’s move to repeal the Prescription Drug Tracking Law (already passed) is a definate step in the WRONG direction and any state legislature who sides with him should be voted out next term. What a shame that Florida has become the joke of other states for our Governor’s attempt to repeal this law and cost more Floridians their lives.

  5. tom popp Says:

    Florida has a large retire pop.and a lot people are in pain..we need the pain clinic’s for people without insurance,like myself..alcohol is are problem……..

Florida political tweeters
Video: Politics stories
Categories
Archives